In 1854 the Virginia Central Railroad arrived in Staunton, Virginia. The Virginia Central Railroad was originally part of the Louisa Railroad of Louisa, Virginia that reached from Richmond to Charlottesville. As the railroad began to move west the company was renamed to the Virginia Central Railroad. The original railroad depot was constructed around 1854. In 1868 the Virginia Central Railroad became affiliated with a New York investor and the C and O Railroad system was born. In 1869 a new railroad depot was built to replace the original depot. By 1900, the C & O Railroad had become a prosperous venture and had built an expansive rail system to the west. In 1902 the C and O Railroad contracted with T. J. Collins to design and build the C and O Train Station as we know it today. Their Wharf Train Station, with its Bungalow building style, has become an architectural prize in the Wharf Historic District, today. The Train Station houses The Depot Grille, Rachel’s Quilt Shop, Wilson Photography and other businesses.