UPDATE: Standoff in Shenandoah comes to a peaceful end

Image: WHSV
By  | 
View Map

SHENANDOAH, Va. (WHSV) — UPDATE (10:20 a.m.):

The standoff is over. The Town of Shenandoah's Police Chief sent WHSV the following information Saturday morning about what happened:

"At approximately 2:40 a.m. a man was apprehended. He was transported to the Page County Jail on charges of assault and battery and brandishing a firearm. He will also undergo a mental evaluation. There were no injuries, and he was arrested without incident."

Paul Davis, Chief of Police, added, "I would like to thank the officers of the Shenandoah Police Department, Page County Sheriff's Office, Virginia State Police, Shenandoah Fire Company, Shenandoah Rescue Squad and Shenandoah Public Works for all of the assistance."


UPDATE (Oct. 15):

Saturday morning, police were still in a standoff at the house near the intersection of Senior Avenue and 4th Street. There were fewer police cars than during Friday night's peak of activity. Virginia State Police are involved. No additional information was available.


A man who reportedly pulled a gun on a neighbor has been the focus of police activity in the town of Shenandoah since the 7 o'clock hour of Friday night.

At least one deputy was seen with a weapon drawn near the intersection of Senior Avenue and 4th Street. Nearby residents should stay inside and avoid windows. Do not drive in the area.

Law enforcement told WHSV's Andrew Clay there is a man inside a house with a gun. The source described the man as being a mental health concern. Before this all started, a medical team was actually on the way to the house to take the man in question to the hospital. They got a report that the man had pulled a gun on a neighbor and then ran in the house.

Police asked medical personnel to stage at Page Health Center around 6:45, a source told WHSV's Terry Ward. Fire-rescue units were directing traffic. Around 8 p.m., local police told WHSV's Victoria Wood that the Virginia State Police was joining the response.

Responders used an emergency notification system to alert residents within a mile of the incident. Police blocked off a one-block area around the site.

Close to 9 p.m., a neighborhood source said the man with the gun had post-traumatic stress disorder.

Shortly after 10 p.m., the police presence began thinning out, partly to lower the stress upon the armed man. Questions remained about just what triggered the incident and what happened.

Around 11 p.m., the police presence continued and police expressed hope that things could be resolved as peacefully as possible.

It is an ongoing developing situation.

WHSV's Victoria Wood spoke with police on the scene in the 7 o'clock hour --raw video below: