PAGE COUNTY, Va. (WHSV) -- The home, located at 200 Hawksbill Avenue, suffered about $350,000 in damages and is unlivable after a fire Tuesday night.
The Stanley Volunteer Fire Department was called to a house fire at 8:07 p.m., according to Fire Chief Terry A. Pettit.
Chief Pettit reported that he and a crew had just left a different house fire in the Shenandoah Forest area reported fully involved when they noticed fire coming from two upstairs windows in the rear of the house on Hawksbill Avenue.
They arrived on scene as the occupant, Douglas Carlock, his sister, and a friend were exiting the home, according to Pettit.
The two-and-a-half story farmhouse had 15 rooms, which included eight bedrooms and three baths with portions of the house built around 1780. The home is one of the oldest in Page County, said Pettit, and was once known as the Ruffner House, then Atwoods Nursing Home before being turned into a residence.
It took an hour for firefighters to bring the fire under control and crews remained on the scene for additional two hours making sure the fire out.
The home valued at $500,000 is owned by the Atwood family and was insured. The occupant also was insured.
Pettit stated the cause of the fire was a cracked chimney and the house is unlivable at this time. The fire spread from a rear bedroom into the attic area which made it difficult to extinguish. The upstairs portion of the house suffered smoke and fire damage and some rooms downstairs suffered water damage, according to Pettit.
No injuries were reported even though the temperature was about five degrees and water from the hoses was frozen in many areas.
Eight units and 33 Stanley firefighters responded to the call along with one unit from the Stanley Rescue squad and one unit and crew from Page County EMS. The Shenandoah Fire Department stood by the Stanley fire station during the call the Virginia State Police and Page County Sheriff’s Dept. assisted with traffic control.