HARRISONBURG, Va. (WHSV) — Food Lion is investing $40 million to remodel its locations throughout the Shenandoah Valley, Charlottesville, and surrounding areas.
According to a press release from the company, Food Lion has been in the area for 37 years, now in 14 towns and cities throughout the area.
"Food Lion is proud to have been a part of the many towns and cities we serve throughout the Charlottesville/Harrisonburg market for 37 years and we are even more excited to bring new offerings, services and a new look to these markets," said Food Lion President Meg Ham. "We look forward to making significant investments in our stores, our associates and our communities to offer an enhanced shopping experience. Our mission is to ensure our customers can easily find fresh, quality products to nourish their families at affordable prices every day, delivered with the caring, friendly service they expect from Food Lion every time they shop. We look forward to reintroducing our renovated stores later this summer."
As part of their goal for "fresh, quality products," each Food Lion location will offer an expanded variety of products, including more local, natural, organic, and gluten-free items.
The grocery store chain says they'll also be hiring nearly 400 new associates as part of a commitment to enhancing the customer experience.
Each remodeled store will have enhanced customer service, plus a greater variety of Food Lion's "Nature's Promise" brand, which is dedicated to being free from ingredients like artificial additives, preservatives and colors, similar to Kroger's Simple Truth brand.
The Ruckersville store and 32 Mill Creek Dr. store in Charlottesville will each be getting walk-in produce coolers.
The other stores getting remodeled expanded sections for "grab n go" snack items, gluten-free and international specialty foods, and premium and ready-to-drink coffees.
Several will also get in-store cut fruit and expanded seafood sections.
And all of them will have in-store hand-battered fried chicken and more local products, like craft beer and wine.
Food Lion says each store will remain open for normal business hours throughout remodeling, and once the remodeling is done, they promise the stores will be easier to navigate and shop.
By the end of our local remodeling, Food Lion plans to have remodeled 80% of its network across 10 states.
The 23 stores included in this remodeling are the following:
• 2411 West Beverly Harrisonburg VA 24401
• 1131 5Th Street Sw Charlottesville VA 22902
• 570 Riverbend Dr. Charlottesville VA 22911
• 1751 South High Street Harrisonburg VA 22801
• 208 Laurel Hill Road Verona VA 24482
• 20 Windmill Square Stuarts Draft VA 24477
• 11 Orchid Hill Ctr. Staunton VA 24401
• 14811 Spotswood Trail Elkton VA 22827
• 990 Hopeman Pkwy Waynesboro VA 22980
• 1740 Timberwood Blvd. Charlottesville VA 22911
• 136 Cedar Grove Rd Ruckersville VA 22968
• 264 Turkeysag Trl Unit 1 Palmyra VA 22963
• 1751 Virginia Avenue Harrisonburg VA 22802
• 585 Branchlands Blvd Charlottesville VA 22901
• 600 N. Coalter Street Staunton VA 24401
• 14054 Timber Way Timberville VA 22853
• 32 Mill Creek Drive Charlottesville VA 22902
• 1021 Port Republic Rd Harrisonburg VA 22801
• 83 Augusta Avenue Grottoes VA 24441
• 46 Madison Plaza Drive Madison VA 22727
• 85 S. Carlton St. Harrisonburg VA 22801
• 30 Windward Dr. Suite 102 Fisherville VA 22939
• 198 Scottsville Center Scottsville VA 24590