2017 marks the 21st year of Toy Convoy.
It was started by and is an initiative of WHSV done on behalf of The Salvation Army for Harrisonburg/Rockingham County, Staunton and Waynesboro and Page County.
Each year, WHSV partners with Mountain Valley Burger King, Harrisonburg Auto Mall and Wal-Marts across the area to gather toys from our community to benefit local children in need.
In addition, we partner with Page One to benefit kids in the Page County area.
This year, our toy drive starts with the Staunton Christmas Parade on November 27, and goes through December 9.
Our goal is to serve all the children in need in this area from infants to 12 year olds. Where the toys are donated is where they'll stay. So if you donate a toy in Waynesboro, it will stay there.
While many people tend to gravitate to toys in the toddler to 7-year-old range, it's important to not forget about either the small babies or the older kids.
The Harrisonburg Salvation Army says they need the most help with 0-2 year-olds and 10-12 year-olds. Some toys it needs include Transformers, baby doll strollers, battery operated helicopters, airplanes, monster trucks, (any remote control toys), action figures such as Spider-Man, Superman, etc.
In Waynesboro, the Salvation Army says they need the most help in the 9-12 age for boys and girls.
The Staunton Salvation Army says they need the most help with gifts for 8-10 year old boys and girls.
All kinds of toys are gladly accepted, and WHSV staff will be at locations across the area in the coming weeks to help collect them!
These are the number of kids we need to help in each area:
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham County - 1,401 (675 families)
- Staunton - 348
- Waynesboro - 356 (169 families)
Where can you donate:
- Staunton' Magical Main Street Parade
- The Harrisonburg Holiday Parade.
- Any of these Wal-Mart locations: Dayton, Harrisonburg Crossings, Timberville, Luray, Staunton and Waynesboro
- Any of these Burger King locations: Elkton, Mount Crawford, Harrisonburg (South Main, East Market Street [Downtown and near the Valley Mall], Staunton [Richmond Road], Verona and Waynesboro
- Any Harrisonburg Auto Mall location, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi-all on South Main Street.
- Any Salvation Army location in Harrisonburg, Staunton or Waynesboro.
- WHSV's studio in Harrisonburg during business hours.
- Online: Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro
Billy Jacks is also collecting toys from December 1st to 13th, and the Joshua Wilton House is collecting toys until December 9.
#ToyConvoy Posts on Instagram