House fire caused by faulty clothes dryer in Waynesboro

Courtesy Waynesboro Fire Department
By  | 

WAYNESBORO, Va. (WHSV) — The Waynesboro Fire Department says a house fire was started by a faulty clothes dryer on Friday.

Officials say they responded just before noon, to a reported house fire in the 1400 block of Shenandoah Avenue. Once on scene, they say smoke was showing from one side of the house and the roof.

The fire department says crews forced entry into the home and extinguished the fire. Crews also searched the house, officials say, and three animals were found unharmed.

Fire officials say the cause of the fire appears to be a faulty clothes dryer. In a Facebook post, they reminded people to not leave appliances running unless someone is home.

The Virginia Red Cross is assisting three adults and three children as a result of this fire.