Police release details of Sunday evening I-81 crashes

By  | 


Police say charges are pending in a crash that temporarily shut down both lanes of Interstate 81 on January 6.

According to Virginia State Police, troopers responded to a single-vehicle crash around 5:30 p.m. at mile marker 253 in Rockingham County.

A 2008 Toyota Yaris was heading north when the driver, 58-year-old Erjan Aktar of Dover Plains, N.Y., reportedly pulled into the right shoulder to attempt to use it to pass vehicles ahead.

While on the shoulder, the Yaris struck the guardrail twice and then overturned, coming to a rest on its roof partially in the median of the interstate.

Aktar was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of serious injuries. Troopers say he was not wearing a seat belt.

Around the exact same time, a two-vehicle crash happened just a few miles south at MM 249.

In that situation, State Police say a 2007 Toyota Camry driving north in excess of the speed limit ran off the left side of the roadway, over-corrected, and then re-entered the northbound lanes and struck the side of a tractor trailer in the right lane.

Both vehicles came to a stop on the right shoulder. The driver of the Camry, 24-year-old Rina A. Perez-Villacorta, of Leesburg, was transported for treatment of minor injuries. She was wearing a seat belt.

However, a 29-year-old male passenger and a 5-year-old female passenger were taken to the hospital for treatment of serious injuries. Police say the 5-year-old was not secured in a booster seat. A 2-year-old who was in a child safety seat was taken to the hospital for minor injuries.

The 31-year-old driver of the tractor trailer, from New York, was uninjured.

Perez-Villacorta was charged with reckless driving.


One person was flown to the hospital for serious injuries after a crash along Interstate 81 on Sunday evening, according to State Police.

A Toyota Yaris ran off the left side of the road at mile marker 253 and overturned in the median around 5:30 p.m.

Police did not release any further details as of 9:00 p.m.

The crash shut down both lanes of Interstate 81 for more than an hour. The roadway has since reopened.