West Virginia health centers to get $19M in federal grants
West Virginia community health centers are getting $19 million in federal grants from the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration.
The grants are to fund primary care services.
U.S. Rep. Evan Jenkins says they include $1.29 million to Camden on Gauley Medical Center, $1.06 million to Monroe County Health Center, $1.48 million to New River Health Association and $1.5 million to Rainelle Medical Center.
Jenkins says they fill a critical gap in health care in southern West Virginia.
U.S. Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) elaborated more on the new funding, saying another $14 million will be divided among Change Inc., Cabin Creek Health Center, Community Care of West Virginia, Monongahela Valley Association of Health Centers, Pendleton Community Care, Shenandoah Valley Medical Systems, Wirt County Health Services Association and Womencare Inc.
“Every West Virginia community deserves quality healthcare facilities and this funding will support the health centers that provide the primary and preventive care that many West Virginians rely on,” Senator Manchin said. “I will continue to advocate for organizations seeking to improve and expand healthcare services across our state, especially in our rural communities.”
“Our health centers here in West Virginia play an important role in keeping communities healthy,” Senator Capito said. “As a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, I was glad to play a part in securing this funding that will provide health centers across the state with the resources necessary to continue delivering critical services residents need to maintain a healthy lifestyle.”
Below is a breakdown of how the money will be distributed:
• $1,286,429 – Camden-on-Gauley Medical Center, Inc.
• $1,478,745 – Change, Inc.
• $1,465,891 – Cabin Creek Health Center, Inc.
• $2,794,491 – Community Care of West Virginia
• $1,111,574 – Monongahela Valley Association of Health Centers
• $1,055,012 – Monroe County Health Center
• $1,475,874 – New River Health Association, Inc.
• $1,147,892 – Pendleton Community Care
• $1,505,133 – Rainelle Medical Center, Inc.
• $2,871,018 – Shenandoah Valley Medical Systems, Inc.
• $1,266,542 – Wirt County Health Services Association, Inc.
• $1,753,622 – Womencare, Inc.