When to buy renters insurance for your college student

Published: Aug. 22, 2016 at 1:23 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

As students begin to move back into Harrisonburg, one thing they should be thinking about is how to protect their belongings, either through simple security or renters' insurance.

Insurance agents with Allstate tell WHSV that renters insurance usually will not cover a dorm room, so theft and damage coverage should be on individual items.

"The best policy for those students is to keep their doors locked and to make sure everything is safely held," said Christine Johnson, an Allstate Sales Agent in Harrisonburg. "If they can purchase theft insurance on their Macs and their cell phones, things that cost a lot of money, they need to that right away."

Certain items in a dorm can sometimes be covered by a parents' homeowners or renters insurance, depending on the company

Johnson recommends, if you rent, go for the insurance. She says you can even buy a policy just for you or your roommates can share.

Prices can be as low as $80 for the entire year.