Directions1. Adjust the oven rack to the lower middle of the oven and heat to 325°.
2. Lightly coat the bottom of a shallow metal baking pan (a jellyroll pan works well) with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and sprinkle half the garlic and basil evenly over the bottom.
3. Lay the tomato slices on top, edge to edge. Cover with the rest of the garlic, basil and olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
4. Roast for about 1-1/2 hours, until the tomatoes are a little shriveled.
5. Let cool for 20 minutes, then transfer to a shallow stoneware or glass serving dish and pour their oil over them.
6. Let the flavors ripen by resting the tomatoes, uncovered, for up to one hour before serving. Roasted tomatoes may be frozen for up to three months.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.
8. To make bruschetta, place a fresh basil leaf on each prepared bruschetta bread, then top with a roasted tomato slice.
Serve at room temperature or warmed in a 400° oven for eight minutes.