* Use Apples that remain firm when cooked
** If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt
- Wash apples, then core and slice (skin on) into 1/4" thick slices
- Dry each side of apple slices on paper towels
- Combine flour and next 5 ingredients in a bowl
- Heat 1 tablespoon cooking oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat (about 375 degrees if using an electric skillet)
- Dip apple slice in batter on both sides and lay in hot oil skillet. Repeat with as many apple slices you can fit in the skillet
- Cook until golden on one side, then flip and cook on the other side. Drain on paper towels if they appear greasy. Heat more cooking oil and cook remaining apples, serving apples fritters hot and dusted heavily with powdered sugar or other type of sugar. (Leftover fritters can be refrigerated and reheated in microwave).
Serves 6-8 people
Virginia Egg Council
3401 West Ridge Rd.
Roanoke, VA 24014