- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 pound butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 8 tablespoons half and half
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites adding six level tablespoons of sugar. Beat at high speed until foamy then place in refrigerator until cake is mixed.
- Cream butter and remaining sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks two at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla.
- Add flour and half and half alternately beating at low speed until thoroughly combined. Fold in egg white mixture by hand, just enough to mix.
- Pour into a greased 10 x 4 inch tube pan. Bake in preheated 250 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.
- Increase temperature to 300 degrees and continue baking another hour and 15 minutes or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan completely before turning out.