2 cups shredded refrigerated or defrosted frozen hash brown potatoes
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
½ teaspoon Mexican or taco seasoning
Salt and pepper
Garnish, if desired: Chopped parsley or cilantro; salsa
Directions* Heat oven to 500°.
* Combine potatoes and cheese in medium bowl. Sprinkle with seasoning; toss to mix.
* Divide mixture evenly among four greased 1-cup ramekins or custard cups; press against bottoms and halfway up sides. Place on a baking sheet.
* Bake for 10 - 15 minutes, until crisp. Lower oven temp to 375°.
* Break and slip an egg into each potato nest.
* Bake until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard- 10 to 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley or cilantro.
* Lighter option: Recipe can be made with reduced-fat cheese, if desired.
Make these for breakfast. Make these for lunch. Make these for dinner. But whatever you do, make these. Serve a salad and crusty bread to make it into dinner or a sweet bread and fruit for a hearty, flavorful breakfast.
Virginia Egg Council ~ firstname.lastname@example.org ~ 540.345.3958