2 Tablespoons liquid (3/4 T lemon juice, the rest water)
1/3 stick of butter
DirectionsHollandaise Sauce: Enough for topping two eggs: Combine 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons liquid (3/4 T of lemon juice, the rest water) in a small pan. Stir over low heat until the egg begins to thicken slightly. Then add 1/3 stick of butter, cut into pieces, one stick at a time, stirring until each melts. It will be thick and creamy. Add some salt, paprika and cayenne pepper. Once made, let it sit off the heat. Stir occasionally, or if it hardens, sit pan in some hot water to soften.
Microwave Poached Eggs: Crack egg in a small custard cup. Gently pour into a larger custard cup, half filled with water. Pierce yolk several times with a pick. Cover lightly with a paper towel and microwave in 30-second increments until it looks nearly done (a lot depends on the wattage of your microwave). Let sit in the hot water until ready – then slip out with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel – trim if needed.
Filet Mignon: Bring to room temperature. Dry steaks and coat both sides with olive oil. Pan sear, grill or broil (5 – 6 min. per side) until an instant read thermometer reads 135° for medium rare or 140° for medium or cut into meat to check for doneness). Remove and lightly cover with foil for 5 – 10 min. It should increase to at least 145° as it sits. Salt / pepper.
Timeline for preparing this dish:
* Bring the filet to room temperature. Dry with a paper towel and lightly coat with olive oil on both sides. Decide how it will be cooked – broiled or grilled or pan seared. Preheat grill/ broiler/skillet.
* Make the Hollandaise. It will harden a bit once complete and sitting, but since it takes the most hands-on attention, do it first. The pan can be set in warm water to soften it, if needed.
* Have the Ciabatta bread ready to toast and the serving plate and garnishes ready. Or make the grits, season with butter and salt, cover, and keep warm.
* Have eggs ready to poach in a skillet of simmering water, or in bowls of water in the microwave.
* Start cooking the beef
* Poach the eggs ~ once cooked until nearly done. They will be fine sitting in the hot water until everything else is ready. But they will continue cooking in the hot water, so be quick.
* Toast and butter the Ciabatta bread.
* Build the dish: Ciabatta or grits first. Then place filet next. Drained poached egg is next. Drizzle with Hollandaise sauce. Paprika on top. Garnish with Arugula lettuce, sliced tomatoes, or fruit.