FAIRFAX, Va. -- James Madison baseball (29-19) defeated George Mason (19-29) 4-3 on Tuesday in come from behind fashion. Grayson Jones picked up his second win of the season improving to 2-0, as Matt Marsili earned his second save. The Dukes used eight pitchers on the afternoon to pick up the victory.
George Mason got on the board first in the third when Tim Quinn flied out to left field to score a run. JMU was able to answer in the fourth, scoring on a single through the right side by Michael Morgan. Mason would answer in the sixth, scoring two runs to regain the lead at 3-1.
In the eighth the Dukes clawed their way back into the game, when Brady Harju doubled down the line in left scoring Trevon Dabney and Dallas Jackson. Matt Dipasupil would send Harju home on a single to right field to give the Dukes the lead. Dan Goggin entered the game with the lead, pitching 1.0 innings and allowing no runs, on no hits and struck out one. Matt Marsili took over in the ninth and struck out two batters to pick up his second save of the season.
- The Dukes stranded 12 George Mason runners on base on Tuesday.
- James Madison used eight pitchers in the midweek win and was able to limit their arms to less than three innings.
- Matt Dipasupil tallied another multi-hit game for the Dukes, going 2-for-4 with an RBI this afternoon.
- Brady Harju came up clutch in the eighth doubling down the line to tie the ball game with two RBIs
- The Dukes pitching staff recorded another 11 strikeouts on the day to bring the season total up to 475. The bullpen is now 15 away from the school record of 490.
- Trevon Dabney wore his 20thpitch of the season, taking a breaking ball off the elbow guard in the eighth.
Bottom 3rd | JMU 0 – GM 1 | Tim Quinn flied out to left field to score the first run of the ballgame.
Top 4th | JMU 1 – GM 1 | The Dukes were able to tie the ballgame in the fourth, when Michael Morgan singled through the right side to score Fox Semones.
Bottom 6th | JMU 1 – GM 3 | Scott Morgan homered to right field to give the Patriots the lead. Brady Acker singled to left to extend the George Mason lead.
Top 8th | JMU 4 – GM 3 | Brady Harju doubled down the line in left to score Trevon Dabney and Dallas Jackson. Matt Dipasupil would send Harju home on a single to right field to give the Dukes the lead.
WHAT COACH IKE HAD TO SAY
“I am very proud of how the guys battled today. At the start we were struggling to cash in on our chances, stranding a couple of runners in scoring position. I thought the bullpen pitched well and all of our guys did what they needed to keep us in the game. In the eighth we were able to put the pressure on their bullpen and string together a couple of hits and good at bats to put runners on. Brady was able to battle and tie the game and Dipasupil was able to drive him home shortly after.”
James Madison will step back into CAA play this weekend when they travel to Northeastern for a weekend series. First pitch Friday is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.