HARRISONBURG, Va. -- James Madison baseball (11-5) took the first of two from Lehigh on Tuesday, walking off in the bottom of the 10ththanks to freshman Travis Reifsnider’s single to right field. JMU lead the entire game until the seventh, when Lehigh scored three runs to take the lead. The Dukes would tie it in the ninth and walk it off in the 10th. Nick Robertson picked up his second victory of the season, coming on in relief in the sixth inning to shut down the Mountain Hawks.
Nick Zona continued his hot streak finishing the day 5-for-5 and scoring three runs for the Dukes including the game winner. JMU had the bases loaded in the tenth after Lehigh intentionally walked two batters to get to Travis Reifsnider. The freshman delivered on his second career hit to lift the Dukes to victory.
- CAA Rookie of the Week, Nick Zona, finished the day going 5-for-5 scoring three runs and collecting an RBI.
- Travis Reifsnider had only one hit coming into the 10thinning, after getting his first career hit against High Point.
- Nick Robertson improved to 2-0 on the season, picking up the win in relief on Tuesday.
- JMU stole a season high seven bases on Tuesday night, the most since they stole eight against Hofstra in 2016.
- The 10-inning game Tuesday night was the first time the Dukes had gone to extra innings this season.
- JMU was 0-5 entering tonight when trailing after the seventh or eighth inning.
Top 1st| JMU 0 – LEHIGH 1 | Lehigh began the scoring this evening with a sacrifice fly out to center field.
Bottom 2nd| JMU 4 – LEHIGH 1 | JMU scored four in the bottom of the second to take the lead.
Top 5th| JMU 4 – LEHIGH 2 | Lehigh reached on a fielder’s choice allowing a run to score to cut the lead to 4-2.
Top 6th| JMU 4 – LEHIGH 3 | The Mountain Hawks would add a third run in the sixth to cut the JMU lead to one on a single to center.
Bottom 6th| JMU 5 – LEHIGH 3 | Tre Dabney would double down the line in left to score Nick Zona.
Top 7th| JMU 5 – LEHIGH 6 | Lehigh would score three in the top half of the seventh to take a 6-5 lead.
Bottom 9th| JMU 6 – LEHIGH 6 | Kyle Hayes flied out to right field and scored Dallas Jackson from third to tie the game at 6-6.
Bottom 10th| JMU 7 – LEHIGH 6 | Travis Reifsnider singled to right scoring Nick Zona to end the game.
WHAT COACH IKE HAD TO SAY
“Great team win today. We started off hot and Lehigh was able to have a couple pitchers come in and throw zeros. We were able to get clutch at bats when we needed and Travis came up huge in the tenth. Zona had another phenomenal day today going 5-for-5 and put us in a position to win there in the tenth. Nick Robertson was able to come in and pitch well to give us a chance to win. We will enjoy it and get ready for another battle tomorrow night.”
The Dukes will close out the six-game home stand against Lehigh at 4:00 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.