HARRISONBURG, Va. (JMU Athletics) James Madison baseball picked up their ninth win of the season, thanks in part to a two-hit performance by Kevin Kelly on Saturday. The Dukes would defeat the Panthers 2-0 on Saturday to improve to 9-4 on the season. Kelly exited the ballgame in the top of the ninth after going a career high 8.0 innings, allowing no runs, on two hits, and striking out 11.
Kyle Novak knocked in the first run of the afternoon on a hit and run, which allowed Nick Zona to score from second. Michael Morgan laced a triple to left center to score Kyle Novak and increase the lead to 2-0. Kevin Kelly would continue to cruise on the mound and Nick Robertson would take over in the ninth to earn his fourth save of the season.
- Kevin Kelly pitched a career high 8.0 innings and recorded 11 strikeouts, one off his career high.
- Nick Robertson picked up his fourth save of the season striking out two and not allowing a hit in the ninth.
- Nick Zona finished the afternoon 2-for-3 with a run scored and a stolen base.
- Michael Morgan collected his team leading third triple of the season with his base clearing knock in the sixth.
- Kyle Novak increased his hitting streak to seven games on Saturday with a base knock up the middle.
Bottom 6th| JMU 2 – HPU 0 | Kyle Novak opened the scoring when he drove a 3-0 pitch up the middle to score Nick Zona from second. Michael Morgan would follow with a triple to left center to score Novak and give the Dukes the lead.
WHAT COACH IKE HAD TO SAY
"Great team win today against High Point. Kevin pitched incredibly well and it was nice to see him keep his pitch count down early and get on top of the hitters. Kyle and Michael were able to get the clutch hits in the sixth and Kevin continued to do his job. We will enjoy this for the time being, but it is back to work tomorrow morning for the doubleheader."
James Madison will cap off the series tomorrow beginning at noon with the first of two games against the Panthers.