HARRISONBURG, Va. -- James Madison baseball closed out their six-game home stand with a 10-1 victory over Lehigh on Wednesday. The Dukes improved to 12-5 on the season and will now travel out west to take on Cal State Fullerton. The trip out west will be just the second road trip of the season and will be the final non-conference trip for the Dukes.
Justin Showalter picked up his first victory of the season for JMU on Wednesday pitching 6.0 innings, allowing one run, on three hits and struck out a career-high 11 batters. The JMU bats came alive in the third scoring eight runs to put the game out of reach. Brady Harju went 2-for-3 at the plate and Kyle Novak scored three runs. Harry Brown added his first home run of the season to the mix in the eighth.
- Justin Showalter pitched a career-high 6.0 innings and struck out a career-high 11 batters in Wednesdays win.
- Harry Brown collected his first home run of the season with a moon shot over the scoreboard in right field.
- Chris Wallace and Rich Rodriguez made their Dukes debut in the game this afternoon.
- The six hit-by-pitches the Dukes collected today tied the record for most in a game.
- Showalter’s 11 strikeouts marks the third time this season that a Dukes pitcher has recorded 10+ in a game (Ayer 10, Kelly 11).
Bottom 1st| JMU 1 – LEHIGH 0 | Kyle Hayes drew a walk with the bases loaded to score Kyle Novak.
Bottom 3rd| JMU 9 – LEHIGH 0 | The Dukes exploded for eight runs in the third inning to increase their lead to 9-0. It was the second time this season that JMU has scored 8 runs in the bottom half of an inning.
Top 6th| JMU 9 – LEHIGH 1 | Lehigh singled to center field and picked up their first run of the ballgame in the sixth.
Bottom 8th| JMU 10 – LEHIGH 1 | Harry Brown hits a no-doubt home run over the right field scoreboard to take a 10-1 lead for the Dukes.
WHAT COACH IKE HAD TO SAY
“Very happy with how our guys were able to see the ball today. We were able to locate pitches and capitalized with runners in scoring position. Justin pitched amazing today and had a really good feel from the first pitch. His control was outstanding and we are looking forward to the competition this weekend in California.”
The Dukes will now head out west for the first of three against Cal State Fullerton. First pitch for Friday night is scheduled for 10:00 p.m. EST.